Customers just have to let us know they wish to opt out and are willing to pay the associated charges. They can call customer services at 1 888 385-7252.
In 2015, Hydro-Québec installed more than 1,000,000 new meters. For efficiency reasons and to keep costs down, we concentrated certain installation activities, which may have caused some delays. So far, almost 95% of customers who opted out have had their meters installed. In many of the remaining 5% of cases, we did in fact attempt installation, but for one reason or another were unable to proceed.